Careers Privacy Statement
Effective: January 2021
Notice – Management of Applicant Data
Please read this Notice carefully. By submitting application information at this website, you acknowledge Harlan Foods and related Harlan Companies (‘Harlan’) collection and use of Applicant Data as described below. Data about you that we receive from you or others in connection with your application is referred to in this Privacy Notice as “Applicant Data.” Applicant Data may include Personal Data, which means any information relating to an identified or identifiable person.
1. About Harlan Foods. Harlan Foods is a leading food manufacturing conglomerate which produces a variety of food products sold across the United States and Canada. Harlan’s food products range from bagels, specialty and breakfast breads, granolas, deserts and seafood. Today, one in ten Americans enjoy a Harlan food product. For more information on Harlan Foods, please visit www.harlanfoods.com.
2. Data Controllers. The practices described in this Privacy Notice are undertaken by the Harlan’s group of companies (“Harlan’). As the controller of the Personal Data that you provide or that we process in connection with this site and your application, we are committed to protecting your privacy. If you have any questions about Harlan as a data controller, please contact us as described in the “Contact Us” section below.
3. Data collection. Submission of your application and related Applicant Data is entirely voluntary. As part of the application process, Nielsen may collect the following data about you:
- Data you submit. As part of the application process – either initially or after we have made you an offer of employment – you may submit your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, social security or other national identification number, gender, current occupation, income, details about your education history, and other data included on employment related documents such as your resume or CV.
- Data from third party sources.
- Harlan may collect certain additional data either directly from you or from third parties (e.g., through background checks, where allowed by local law) if Harlan is considering your application or extends an offer of employment. In some countries a background check will be requested before an offer is finalized. Your consent will be requested separately for background screening in accordance with applicable law.
- Harlan may carry out education/degree verification and reference checks, but will only call former employers with your consent. These checks will be strictly limited to educational and professional information.
- Harlan may also carry out social media checks on profiles that are publicly viewable but only to the extent relevant for the performance of the job for which you are being considered.
- Data collected automatically. We may automatically collect information about your device through your use of our site including Internet Protocol address, browser type, time and date of your visit to the site, and the webpage you visited immediately prior to this site.
- Data collected via Cookies. We may use cookie technology to facilitate your use of our online employment application tools. The cookies on this site are used solely to facilitate your online experience, and are not used to make employment-related decisions. You may choose to modify your Internet browser settings to decline our cookies, but that may hinder or prevent your use of our online employment application tools.
4. Use of Applicant Data. Harlan may use Applicant Data to communicate with you in writing, by telephone or via email to evaluate your application, analyze Nielsen staffing needs and practices, or otherwise efficiently manage the Harlan hiring process and employee administration. We may combine Applicant Data with research tools and data from other sources as indicated in the “Data Collection” section of this Notice.
5. When we share Applicant Data.
- Within the Harlan group of companies. To achieve the objectives described above, and because we are part of a larger group of companies operating internationally, we may from time to time make Applicant Data available to other companies within the Harlan group of companies
- To Harlan employees or recruiters. Applicant Data is controlled primarily (but not exclusively) by Harlan Human Resources Department staff, and may be stored electronically or in hard copy. Other staff involved in hiring or information management also may have access to some or all Applicant Data, including senior management or outside recruiting services providers.
- With Third-Party Service Providers. We will share Applicant Data with third parties that provide services to us, such as (but not limited to) website hosting, data analysis, infrastructure, IT services, customer service, email delivery, and auditing. In particular, this website and integrated 3rd party HRIS and HR recruiting service providers such as Indeed.com, CareerBuilder.com and Kronos. Applicants can submit their application through this website and the integrated HR services for Harlan’s review. As a result, Harlan will process the Applicant Data and other information you provide as part of your application in order to assist Harlan with the hiring process.
- As required by law or regulatory authorities. We may from time to time make Applicant Data available to legal and regulatory authorities (such as labor and tax authorities), to our accountants, auditors, lawyers and other outside professional advisers, and to parties providing products or services to us (such as IT systems suppliers, and human resources consultants). We also may disclose Applicant Data to any third party when disclosure is required by law, or as needed to permit us to exercise our legal rights, take action regarding illegal activities, or to protect the safety of any person.
6. Retention of Applicant Data. We may store Applicant Data for as long as needed for the purposes indicated in this Privacy Notice (including for the purpose of considering whether your skills are suitable for other opportunities within Harlan). In any event, we will not retain your Applicant Data longer than permitted by local law from the date of collection unless you become employed by Harlan, in which case a different retention period may apply. Records not specifically designated as Applicant Data may have different retention periods (e.g., email server records of emails received or sent).
7. Security of Applicant Data. We have in place reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative security measures that are designed to protect Applicant Data under our control. Unfortunately no data transmission over the Internet or data storage can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. If you feel that the security of any data that we hold about you has been compromised, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section.
8. Cross-Border Transfers. The information you provide or the data we collect via this site may be stored and processed in any country where we, Harlan, or our service providers operate and/or have facilities. As a result, your Personal Data may be transferred to countries or regions without data protection or privacy laws similar to those in effect in your home country. In such cases, we will ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal data. For further details about these transfers and the safeguards that we use to facilitate such transfers, please contact us.
9. Children. This site is not designed for or intentionally targeted at children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect application Personal Data about anyone under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data relating to a child, we will take reasonable steps to delete it under COPA (United States Child Online Protection Act) standards.
10. Updates to this Careers Privacy Notice. This Careers Privacy Notice supersedes and replaces any other statement we may have made to you about Harlan’s collection and use of Applicant Data. We reserve the right to update and make material changes to this Careers Privacy Notice and to our practices in handling Applicant Data to the extent permitted by applicable law. You may view the currently effective version of this Careers Privacy Notice any time online at this site, or you may request a copy by contacting a Human Resources Department representative via the “Contact Us” section of this website.
Contact Us. If you have any comments or questions regarding this Privacy Notice, please contact us via the “Contact Us” section of this website or call us at 317-272-3600. You may also send us a letter at the following addresses:
ATTN: Harlan HR Director
Harlan Foods and/or Harlan Bakeries
7597 East US Highway 36, Avon Indiana, USA 46123